Timed Up and Go (TUG) Test
The is a measurement of mobility. It includes a number of tasks such as standing from a seating position, walking, turning, stopping, and sitting down which are all important tasks needed for a person to be independently mobile.
- Begin the test with the subject sitting correctly in a chair with arms, the subject’s back should resting on the back of the chair.
- Place a piece of tape or other marker on the floor 3 meters away from the chair
- Instructions : “On the word GO you will stand up, walk to the line on the floor, turn around and walk back to the chair and sit down. Walk at your regular pace.
- Start timing on the word “GO” and stop timing when the subject is seated
- Subject may use any gait aid, but may not be assisted by another person. There is no time limit. They may stop and rest (but not sit down)
- Subject should be given a practice trial that is not timed before testing.